If you’re an immigrant looking for a job in the UK, you’re in luck! The UK is always in need of workers, and there are plenty of jobs available in a variety of industries. This blog post will explain what finding a job is like for immigrants in the UK. We will also list some of the best industries to work in and jobs that are always in demand. Keep reading for more information!
Immigrants in the UK are employed in a wide variety of fields. Many jobs don’t even require speaking fluent English, so you will be able to find work if your language skills aren’t up to par yet! There are over 90 languages spoken in the public sector alone in the UK.
Where Do I Start?
There are many jobs available in the UK from entry-level manual labour to jobs for exceptionally skilled individuals. To make researching professions even easier, the UK government has comprised a list of the UK’s shortage-occupations to show what industries desperately need extra workers, and the government has developed an immigration route called the Global Talent Visa. This visa allows immigrants who hold exceptional degrees to work in the UK, including engineers, medical professionals, and care workers.
The 10 Best Jobs for Immigrants and Why
Here is our list of 10 of the best jobs for immigrants and why they make good options. Hopefully, they can offer a good starting point for your search!
- Agriculture: There is a lot of demand for agricultural workers, especially during peak harvest times. If you’re interested in working in agriculture, there are many different types of jobs available.
- Healthcare: The healthcare industry is always in need of workers. This includes jobs like nurses, doctors, and other medical professionals. If you have experience in the healthcare field, you should definitely consider finding a job in this industry.
- Technology: Jobs in the technology industry are always in high demand. This is because there is a constant need for new and innovative technologies. If you have experience in the tech industry, you should definitely consider finding a job in the UK. Take a look at our tech jobs for women.
- Chef: Jobs as a chef are in high demand in the UK. This is because there are many international cuisines available in the country. If you have experience as a chef, you should consider pursuing a career in the culinary industry.
- Interpreter: Interpreters are in high demand due to a large number of immigrant communities in the UK. If you are bilingual, this is a great job to consider.
- Teacher or Professor: Teachers are always in high demand, especially those who specialise in teaching English as a second language. If you have experience teaching, this is a great job to consider. If you have a background in lecturing, universities are always looking for new lecturers and professors to boost students’ education further.
- Customer Service: Customer service jobs are always in high demand, as many businesses cater to immigrant communities. If you have experience working in customer service, this is a great job to consider.
- Accounting: Accountants are in high demand as they are crucial to helping all businesses function. If you have a background in maths or accounting, this would be a great path for you!
- Lawyer: Lawyers are in high demand due to the complex legal system in the UK. If you have experience working as a lawyer, this is a great job for you!
- Construction: The construction industry is always in need of workers. If you have experience working in construction, this is a great job to consider. Take a look at some of our construction jobs for women.
All of these immigrant roles can lead to many more opportunities in the UK, and it is important not to give up if the first job you find isn’t quite right for your skills or experience.
How Difficult Is It for Immigrants to Get Jobs in the UK?
For all citizens of the UK, jobs can be competitive and occasionally difficult to find. If you’re moving to a new country, this can be even more intimidating. However, recognising which industries are always in need of workers means that you’re going to make your search drastically easier.
Also, once you have a regular income, you can then use that flexibility to take the time to pursue a job that you’re passionate about, even if the process might take a little longer. Therefore, you won’t feel that you’re stuck doing a job that’s not as fulfilling as you want it to be. So, don’t lose hope! There are plenty of jobs out there, and with a little effort, you’re sure to find the perfect one for you.
These are just some examples of popular jobs for immigrants who have settled in the UK and are looking for work. There are many more options available to someone who speaks multiple different languages and knows how to do different kinds of work. Visit our job seeker resource hub for immigrants for more inspiration, and be sure to look on our jobs board for more ideas about what jobs might be good fits for you!