Salary and Benefits: Competitive + Bens
M&S Food is changing, and fast! We are undergoing one of the biggest transformations in retailing today to build a bigger, better, fresher food business.
From Percy Pig to the freshest M&S Select Farms produce, we grow, source, and develop our own products to give our customers family-ready food that’s unbeatable on flavour and innovation.
We need motivated people who are ready to bring their whole self to work and give it their all in a fast-paced team committed to being the best. After all, this is not just food… This is M&S Food.
Are you Passionate for Packaging?
We are not looking for just any Packaging Technologist. We are looking for an M&S Packaging Technologist.
The right candidate will be able to deliver value to the business and identify and implement safe, legal, consistently functional and innovative packaging solutions that deliver for our customers minimising our environmental impact. The role is essential to our transformation and will have high levels of exposure to both internal and external stakeholders.
The main responsibilities will be:
- Develop and deliver fit for purpose customer and commercial focussed packaging solutions, innovation opportunities and business KPIs in line with the product and packaging strategy and corporate guidelines.
- Maintain and deliver robust and efficient packaging governance and compliance in line with legislation, corporate policy and external stakeholders including internal and external reporting on specific targets and KPI’s e.g. Business packaging commitments, Complaints, Audits, Packaging Producer Obligation, Courthauld and NGOs.
- Provide active support and inspiration for Trading teams including delivery of product and packaging pathway process, verification of packaging specifications, approval of samples, identification and timely resolution of packaging issues.
- Maintain up to date knowledge and good working relationships with a number of external influential stakeholders, NGO’s and centres of excellence to anticipate future requirements, identify new opportunities and trends and influence the packaging and product improvement strategies to ensure we continue to meet the needs of the consumer whilst protecting the business and the brand.
- Benchmark M&S product against high street competitors ensuring a market leading position, influencing our product and packaging development strategy.
- Value optimisation to improve commercial opportunities whilst still meeting M&S quality standards and legal compliance.
- Working with the trading teams, design, marketing and PR to identify and deliver accurate and robust customer focussed packaging messages and information in line with the product and packaging strategy
You will need:
- Degree or professional qualification, or equivalent experience in Packaging Technology
- Proven experience in several fields working for an FMCG brand, a food retailer, a food manufacturer or a packaging manufacturer.
- Understanding of external regulatory framework and influential NGO targets: knowledge of UK and European packaging legislation and generating patents.
- Flexible with ability to work independently across multiple projects, lead demanding timescales and challenging priorities in a fast paced changing environment.
- Ability to creatively tackle problems, drive value and craft structural packaging concepts for product and transit.
- Knowledge of designing packaging that is suitable for different age groups
- Capable of interpreting and transferring knowledge to shape future product development strategy.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills across internal and external stakeholders at multiple levels of the organisation with the ability to challenge.
- Enjoy collaborating with others and experience in successfully working globally with people from a variety of cultures and backgrounds in a sensitive and understanding manner to achieve results
- Experience of analysing quality complaint data and implementing improvement projects
- Experience of writing packaging quality management documents to maintain/improve quality standards eg. policies, guidelines and codes of practice.
- Relentless focus on details, accuracy, and quality.
- Detailed understanding of materials, costs and how to utilise to value engineer packaging formats
- Intellectually curious, high energy and resilient
M&S is ready to push boundaries to lead the industry into a greener, speedier, more inspiring digital era. That’s why we’re revolutionising how we work and offering our most exciting opportunities yet. There’s never been a better time to be part of our team. Marks & Spencer aims to be an inclusive organisation, trusted and admired by our colleagues, customers and suppliers. Join us and make an immediate impact. We are committed to an active Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, which starts with our recruitment and selection process, and we are happy to talk flexible working.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process. If you consider yourself to have a disability or learning difficulty which means you are unable to complete the application process online, please get in touch either by phone on 0345 300 3725 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can make alternative arrangements for you.
# LI KP1
This employer is a corporate member of myGwork – LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally