Job Profile Summary
Responsible for delivering software / platform engineering activities (depending on specialism), using advanced technical capabilities to fully understand user requirements, acting as the lead for the design, development and maintenance of a software system / infrastructure platform, and assisting in creating the vision to maximize value from current and emerging technologies. Specialisms: Software Engineering; Platform Engineering.
bp is moving through the biggest transitions in its 100+ year history, be part of something special. bp has some of the most talented experts in the industry, we are underpinned by strong values and ethos. It’s genuinely a fun environment to work in with a great balance adapted to your lifestyle and individual working style…
Working as a software engineer in Trading & Shipping our purpose is to bring together people, energy and markets to power a changing world . We need new talent to pursue commercial opportunities fueled by world-class insight and expertise.
We’re always striving for more innovative digital solutions, sustainable outcomes and closer collaboration across our company and beyond. Together we continue to grow as the world’s leading energy trader.
Help us achieve these goals by:
- Embracing and promoting the DevOps & SRE methodologies. You will be responsible for developing applications and leveraging the strategic tools and platforms to maximize business competitive advantage.
- Technical skills in software development, platform engineering and automation.
- collaborating with our business groups to provide innovative solutions that add value to bp’s business
What you will do for us…
- Contributes and collaborates to assist designs, implements, maintains reliable and scalable server-side software.
- Is hands-on and actively contributes to code.
- Adheres to and advocates for software engineering best practices (e.g. technical design, technical design review, unit testing, BDD, monitoring , code reviews, documentation),
- deployment of secure and well-tested software that meets privacy and compliance requirements; Consumes approved DevSecOps enabled CI/CD pipelines.
- Adheres to agile methodology and operates and builds DevOps maturity. Ensuring delivery of business incremental change safely and reliably.
- Provide technical leadership, contribute to key design decision and mentor more junior staff.
- Broad experience designing, planning, implementing, maintaining, and documenting solutions.
- Development experience in .NET Core, C#, ASP NET Core and WCF and ideally experience in web development using react
- Experience designing and implementing large-scale distributed systems
- Deep knowledge and hands-on experience in areas such as data structures, database table design, algorithm design, runtime complexity, system architecture (scalable, reliable, redundant design), API design, security and privacy best practices, at scale monitoring, logging & alerting, testing best practices.
- Ability to engage and influence at all levels across the organization.
- Experience with container technologies (Docker, Openshift, Kubernetes etc.)
- Degree/HND Level in computer science or related subject
- Experience of energy trading will be advantageous, but not essential
- Highly responsible, self-motivated, and able to thrive in an energetic, fast-paced, high growth environment.
- Excellent organizational skills required to adapt to a constantly changing technical environment
- Strong team player with a customer service orientation with the ability to forge relationships at all levels of the company and across diverse cultures.
Innovation & Engineering
Job Family Group
INNOVATION & ENGINEERING
Join us in creating, growing, and delivering innovation at pace, enabling us to thrive while transitioning to a net zero world. All without compromising our operational risk management.
Working with us, you can do this by:
• deploying our integrated capability and standards in service of our net zero and safety ambitions
• driving our digital transformation and pioneering new business models
• collaborating to deliver competitive customer-focused energy solutions
• originating, scaling and commercialising innovative ideas, and creating ground-breaking new businesses from them
• protecting us by assuring management of our greatest physical and digital risks
Because together we are:
• Originators, builders, guardians and disruptors
• Engineers, technologists, scientists and entrepreneurs
• Empathetic, curious, creative and inclusive
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Flexible working options will be considered.