Developer Evangelist – HSBC Group CTO Shared Service
Big Bank Funding. FinTech Thinking.
The most exciting digital revolution in HSBC’s history is happening right now. The group CTO sharedservices, we are creating, will influence the banking behaviour of over 37 million customersworldwide. Such an exciting journey comes with a truly unique career opportunity: working alongsidea growing team of experts from world-leading technology companies to embed digital into the heartof the bank.
Our Digital teams are an integrated global group of over 3500 technologists and commercialthinkers, working across our offices in London, India, China, Hong Kong, the US, Canada, Poland andMexico.
Our work includes developing new mobile apps and online experiences; using digital messaging tobuild the relationship with our customers; building and improving the underlying technology andsecurity platforms; and innovating our propositions to take advantage of new innovation.
We are seeking eager developer relations team members to help us build the developer community inHSBC. The candidate will keep technical skills sharp, have the opportunity to build personal brandalongside HSBC Open API channel. Open API is the next wave of API technology, and you can be on thefront of this wave. The primary responsibility of the Developer Relations team is to drive thewider developer community towards Open API – with the goal of making HSBC Developer Portal best inclass API experience for developers across the globe.
The developer relations team sits within our engineering team but spends the majority of its timein outbound efforts to work with the community. It’s a unique role working with the world’s leadingengineers and a global community of developers. The team influences the direction of API channeland Developer portal both inside and outside the company.
Candidates will be hands-on software engineers and will have a desire and capability to representHSBC’s Open API Channel as public facing brand ambassadors.
What you will be doing;
- Engagement – Direct engagement of the developer community through meetups, roadshows, boot camps, hackathons, lectures, training and other channels of education.
- Community Support – Facilitate a great experience with APIs for developers at scale with broad reach channels such as Slack, video conference, Stack Overflow and other forums.
- Community development – Foster a healthy community globally through user group support and an Open API Champions program
- Content – Create content to engage the developer audience through social media, videos, blog posts and documentation.
- Open-source – Developer relations are the champions of open source. The team is responsible for gathering requirements that are essential for Open API adoption. This includes encouraging and reviewing open-source contributions.
- Samples and demos – Help showcase HSBC’ API product capabilities with samples and demos that the community at large can leverage.
- A history of leading engineering teams to deliver modern consumer facing digital products using agile techniques
This position is ideal for developers or Computer Science graduates who want to stay technicallysharp but travel and interact with developers globally.
- Development skills – A Computer Science degree, or equivalent experience, with a track record of development in Java and related languages.
- Presenting skills – The ability to present complex technical ideas to developers and often non-technical audiences.
- Curiosity – Experience of working with RESTful API is not essential but a demonstrated curiosity about the technology and its impact are critical.
- Ability to travel – The developer relations team spends 10-20% of time on the road globally.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
What you will bring to the role;
To be successful in this role you should have proven experience of the following;
- CI/CD – tools such as Jenkins, Git, GitHub, SonarQube, Nexus
- Cloud Technologies – AWS, GCP and Azure
- Agile Tooling – Jira, Confluence, Slack
- Java, NodeJS, Spring Boot and Tomcat
- API Gateways – AWS API gateway, Kong Gateway and Mule Gateway
- DevOps processes and experience
- Understanding of lean and agile principles and practices
- Experience of working in an Agile and DevOps environment
This role is based in London (but other UK locations will be considered).
Come Power a Business that Defines How to Power the World
As a business operating in markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits forour customers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC is committed to being an inclusiveemployer and encourages applications from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective ofethnicity, religion, age, physical or mental disability/long term health condition, marital status,sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (includingcharacteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protectedby local law in the jurisdictions in which we operate. Within the work place you will have accessto various employee resource groups which aim to promote and achieve a healthy work / life balanceand support our diversity ambitions. HSBC has in place processes in order to avoid nepotism, whichmeans to avoid creating circumstances in which the appearance or possibility of conflicts ofinterest may exist within the hiring process.
We want everyone to be able to fulfil their potential which is why we provide a range of flexibleworking arrangements and family friendly policies.
As an HSBC employee in the UK, you will have access to tailored professional developmentopportunities and a competitive pay and benefits package. This includes private healthcare for allUK-based employees, enhanced maternity and adoption pay and support when you return to work, and acontributory pension scheme with a generous employer contribution.
Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance withour Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
Tel: +44 (0) 207 832 8500
This employer is a corporate member of myGwork, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally