NEC Software Solutions is headquartered in the UK and operates around the world. We employ more than 3,000 people in six countries, building software and services to get our customers better outcomes. We traded as Northgate Public Services until 1 July 2021 when we rebranded to align with our owners, NEC. Most of our subsidiary companies did too (APD Communications, i2N, EMIS Care and Charter Systems) but our service design agency still trades as Snook. We’ve been part of global tech company NEC Corporation since January 2018.
The position is for a Legal Counsel, reporting to Head of Legal Customer Services based in Alderley Edge, Cheshire. The legal team is responsible for ensuring the integrity of, and maximising the potential of, commercial contracts for the supply of a variety of services and solutions, both by and to the company and its group. The core functions of the department are bid management, new customer contracts, governance and compliance, supplier and third party agreements, risk assessment and balance, post-signature contract and dispute management, commercial education and awareness.
The role includes:
- Leading on the negotiation of a variety of commercial contracts with customers, and (where required) suppliers to the company and its group, including software licensing, cloud hosting & SaaS contracts and support arrangements, supply agreements, outsourcing deals and consultancy arrangements.
- Responding to bids and reporting on legal and commercial risk.
- Advising and undertaking risk analysis in respect of existing contracts and new contract opportunities.
- Drafting and negotiating contracts, including contract variations.
- Assisting with document management process.
- Assisting with the review and updating of template documentation, including provision of training across the various business units.
- Dealing with day to day enquiries from the business.
- Assisting with disputes and litigation, liaising with external counsel as required.
- Providing legal advice on matters affecting the business in a clear and concise manner as required, to all levels of personnel (including senior management).
- Engaging with the sales/project management teams to ensure compliance with business processes and procedure
The applicant will:
- Ideally be qualified as a solicitor, however experience para-legals will be considered for this role
- Exhibit strong commercial negotiation skills (internal and external)
- Be experienced in contracts (preferably relating to it), ip licensing and risk management
- Ideally have some experience of working within or advising clients in the public sector including re procurement challenges and legislation
- Demonstrate strong communication skills and people skills
- Have a proven track record of successfully working within a team
- Have experience of working within a changing environment and assisting with the need to make changes happen
- Have the ability to ensure high professional standards are met and sustained
- Have general IT office skills.
NEC is seeking candidates with experience in a similar business role/environment, excellent commercial acumen and contract negotiating skills. The candidate must be articulate and confident.
All applicants will be expected to show depth of business involvement, as well as commercial and financial acumen.
The successful applicant will also be a team worker, and have confident communication skills and personal drive. Helping others will be a favourable asset, as will setting a good example in respect of tolerance to and managing stress/pressures of work. Influence, initiative, persuasion, adaptability and flexibility are also key soft skills for this role.
Employees of NEC Software Solutions are entitled to the following benefits:
- Single Private Medical Cover (with the option to select family cover at an additional cost)
- 25 days paid holiday with the option to buy/ sell 5 days (during enrolment period)
- 4 x basic salary life assurance cover
- A Group Pension Plan with fantastic employer contributions
- A selection of tax efficient flexible benefits to suit your individual needs
Candidates must be able to demonstrate a pre-existing right to work and travel within the UK. Documentary evidence will be required.
All offers are subject to satisfactory vetting and reference checks.
NEC Software Solutions is an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from all communities.
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally