Salary and Benefits: Competitive
A role within M&S Software Engineering means you’ll be joining a well-loved historic brand, working on a digital platform where we serve millions of committed customers and thousands of colleagues!
With ethical values that run right through the company’s core and technology leaders that truly understand software engineers and engineering, it’s an exciting time as we are redefining into a digital first and engineering-led organisation, with the quality of our engineering team being a key differentiator and second to none.
M&S Software Engineering is a friendly, hardworking and low ego team, where everyone has a voice and is encouraged to contribute ideas and talk straight. There is an opportunity to learn and grow, take true ownership, influence our technology and transformation and help us seek exciting problems for our customers and colleagues!
We pride ourselves on being a company that puts engineering first and are looking for people to join our community of engineers to build modern features using exciting technologies, participate in our hackathons and do the best work of their careers.
In International, we sell M&S to the rest of the world, operating in over 60 markets, with almost 500 stores and 50 websites via a Salesforce Cloud Commerce (SFCC) platform. This role would see an individual joining the International product group, working as part of a community that consists of three multi-functional squads.
- Produce build high-quality, reliable software and own it with a high degree of automation in the cloud
- Own tasks in the backlog and deliver them routinely with no significant issues
- Progress work consistently without significant need for support from more senior colleagues
- Seek problems collaboratively; communicates decisions through tech-talks and white-boarding sessions
- Produce clean, quality code through code reviews and pair programming
- Engage with product colleagues to improve value for the customer
- Approach and contribute to product planning and roadmap with an agile demeanour
- Demonstrate pragmatism in terms of commercial delivery and software quality
- Support the technical platform out of hours as a member of the support rota
As a team, we work closely with other Software Engineers and Product Managers to collaboratively tackle problems. There will be day-to-day interactions with Scrum Masters, who you’ll work with to constantly evolve your team’s ways of working. Depending on your team, you could also interact with other specialists such as Data Scientists, UX/UI Designers and analytics specialists.
As a member of M&S Software Engineering, you’ll also have the opportunity to work with and learn from other engineers and specialists in the organisation via our teams (Squads), sets of squads (Tribes), communities of practices (Fellowships), strategic assemblies (Orchestras) or special interest groups (Guilds).
How you will measure success
- Consistently delivering high-quality reliable software
- Always demonstrating the company’s ‘M&S Way’ values
- Completion of personal development plans and objectives
- Positive feedback from colleagues
- Engagement with and contribution to Fellowships and Orchestras
Area tech stack
- 5+ years of professional experience.
- proven experience with Salesforce Commerce Cloud (Formerly Demand ware).
- Experienced engineering skills with good experience of SFRA and Controller based architecture and pipelines-based architecture experience would be good to have.
- Good experience in integrating with third party applications and interfaces.
- Experience with one or more Java concepts and patterns including: Java/J2EE, JSP, Spring, MVC, Eclipse.
- Experience with multiple source control systems: SVN, Git, Bitbucket and collaboration with JIRA, Confluence, Teams.
- Design, code, unit test, and code review iterative improvements to platform.
- Proficiency in core e-commerce functionalities and platform specific customization and areas to improve site speed.
- Understanding of platform specific architecture.
- Proficient in developing web applications for the relevant focus (Front-End or Back-End) and platform (i.e., Salesforce Commerce Cloud (SFCC).
- Experience with full life cycle implementation experience using various SDLC methodologies and prominently with agile development methodology.
- Experience with web application design and analysis, design patterns, and object-oriented design.
- Applicable SFCC certification.
What you need to succeed
Mission Critical Experiences
- Experience in the majority of the area tech stack
- Proficiency with distributed version controls systems like Git
- Experience with TDD, BDD and unit testing
- Knowledge of integration testing and system testing
- Understanding of DevOps: you build it, you run it
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Experience with cloud engineering, but platform agnostic
- Experience with containerisation like. Kubernetes and Docker
Mission Critical Attributes
- A healthy thirst for learning and knowledge
- Ability to work well with others in multi-functional teams
- A passion for all aspects of software engineering
- Ability to provide constructive feedback to team members
- Humbleness, humility and integrity
- Cares about the business and the bigger picture
- Delivery focused and takes pride in being timely, and delivering a quality product
M&S is ready to push boundaries to lead the industry into a greener, speedier, more inspiring digital era. That’s why we’re revolutionising how we work and offering our most exciting opportunities yet. There’s never been a better time to be part of our team. Marks & Spencer aims to be an inclusive organisation, trusted and admired by our colleagues, customers and suppliers. Join us and make an immediate impact. We are committed to an active Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, which starts with our recruitment and selection process, and we are happy to talk smart/flexible working. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process. If you consider yourself to have a disability or learning difficulty which means you are unable to complete the application process online, please get in touch either by phone on 0345 300 3725 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can make alternative arrangements for you.
This employer is a corporate member of myGwork – LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally