What we are looking for
We are looking for a highly motivated full time Matron to join the Senior Nursing team in Research & Innovation at Manchester Foundation Trust (MFT) The post holder will be responsible for providing management, Leadership and oversight of the safety and quality agenda for the whole of Research & Innovation.
The clinical research delivery teams at MFT are currently based at the Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester Eye Hospital, North Manchester General Hospital , Saint Marys Hospital, Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital and Wythenshawe Hospital. The post holder will have responsibility for managing safety and quality at these various hospitals and travel across Hospital sites.
The post holder will be responsible to and work closely with the Lead Nurse for Research & Innovation supporting the work of delivering research to the highest standards.
The candidate must have a NMC registration, educated to First degree level with knowledge and skills in project management and quality systems. You must hold experience in a senior clinical position, including experience of line management and work force planning.
Clinical research nursing is a developing professional group and the post holder will be able to instrumental in supporting contributing to the development of the clinical research workforce at MFT.
Main duties of the job
The post holder is responsible for promoting and facilitating quality initiatives, effective clinical governance, managing risk, health and safety, emergency planning and assurance across Research and Innovation.
The post holder will be responsible for providing senior clinical/ Nursing and Midwifery leadership. They will be responsible for providing direct support, coordination, implementation and delivery of the Research and Innovation quality and clinical governance agendas to promote a high-quality staff and patient experience with a focus on safety the post holder will facilitate the design, production and prioritisations of systems, plans and work programmes to ensure improved clinical quality and patient safety within Research and Innovation and incorporating the Trust’s priorities outlined in the objectives for governance.
They will lead the co-ordination of the clinical governance agenda across Research and Innovation. They will work closely with R&I Quality Assurance manager, CRF quality lead, multidisciplinary teams and relevant departments, internal and external to the Trust to ensure Research and Innovation remains informed and responsive to the demands of the governance and quality agenda.
MFT is England’s largest NHS Trust with a turnover of & is on a different scale than most other NHS Trusts. We’re creating an exceptional integrated health & social care system for the 1 million patients who rely on our services every year.
Bringing together 10 hospitals & community services from across Manchester, Trafford & beyond, we champion collaborative working & transformation, encouraging our 28,000 workforce to pursue their most ambitious goals. We set standards that other Trusts seek to emulate so you’ll benefit from a scale of opportunity that is nothing short of extraordinary.
We’ve also created a digitally enabled organisation to improve clinical quality, patient & staff experience, operational effectiveness & driving research and innovation through the introduction of Hive; our brand-new Electronic Patient Record system which we’ve launched in September 2022.
We’re proud to be a major academic Research Centre & Education provider, providing you with a robust infrastructure to encourage and facilitate high-quality research programmes. What’s more, we’re excited to be embarking on our new Green Plan which will set out how MFT continues to play its part in making healthcare more sustainable.
At MFT, we create and foster a culture of inclusion and belonging, provide equal opportunities for career development that are fair, open and transparent, protecting your health and wellbeing and shaping the future of our organisation together.
21 April 2023
Agenda for change
£48,526 to £54,619 a year per annum pro rata
To find out more about the key responsibilities and the specific skills and experience youll need, take a look at the Job Description & Person Specification attachments under the Supporting Documents heading. So that youre even more equipped to make an informed decision to apply to us, youll need to take time to read the Candidate Essentials Guide that sits with the Job Description and Person Specification. This document provides you with details about the Trust, our benefits and outlines how we care for you as you care for others. Most importantly, it also contains critical information youll need to be aware of before you submit an application form.
COVID-19 vaccination remains the best way to protect yourself, your family, your colleagues and of course patients from the virus when working in our healthcare settings. Whilst COVID-19 vaccination is not currently a condition of employment, we do encourage our staff to get vaccinated. If you are unvaccinated, there is helpful advice and information available by searching on the NHS England website where you can also find out more about how to access the vaccination.
MFT is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, celebrating and valuing diversity and eliminating any form of unlawful discrimination across our workforce, ensuring our people are truly representative of the communities we serve. All individuals regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation are encouraged to apply for this post. As an inclusive employer, we are here to support you. If you have any special requirements to help you with your application, email our team at
Were looking forward to hearing from you!
- NMC Registrant
- Advanced knowledge and skills in clinical research, nursing and management
- Degree in healthcare subject or equivalent level of experience
- ICH-Good Clinical Practice certificate
- Clinical Governance or Risk Management Qualification
- Understanding of major regulatory issues governing the conduct of clinical research Research Governance framework for Health and Social Care, Medicines for Human Use 9clinical Trials) Regulations, mental Capacity Act, Data protection Act and Human Tissue Act
- Highly developed knowledge of Clinical Governance/Risk Management issues and the principles of Clinical Governance and Risk management in the NHS
- Knowledge of the inspection and regulation environment in which clinical research cooperates
- Change management experience and implementing new systems within a large NHS or Healthcare organisation
- Experience of managing patient safety
- Previous experience at manager level
skills and experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Good inter-personal skills – must be able to influence and motivate others in order to achieve results
- Able to converse with all levels of staff from within the organisation
- Project management skills
- Computer and statistical literacy
- Able to use IT and have keyboard skills to produce self-generated information
- Strong analytical skills and ability to consider the wider picture – including future scenario planning
- Able to provide and receive highly complex, sensitive or contentious information
- Able to be flexible and readjust plans – must be able to prioritise work within set deadlines
- Able to present written and verbal information in a concise / engaging format
- Team Player but able to work independently
- Creative, Resourceful and Enthusiastic, Self-motivated, Innovative, facilitative, patient and helpful
- Open minded, treats colleagues with dignity and respect
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain high quality work
- Exemplary personal standards of conduct and behaviour
- Inspires others and leads by example
- Willingness to travel across multiple sites as indicated
- Ability to troubleshoot effectively
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab) .
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab) .
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this Quality and Safety Matron Research & Innovation job in South Tyneside, England, UK externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally