The Director of Medical Education (DME) is a vital part of delivering our future Medical workforce. The role aims to achieve a high-standard of medical education that supports both Health Education England (HEE) strategic frameworks and GMC standards of practice.
The Director of Medical Education will provide leadership, strategic direction, and vision for the assurance, management, and delivery of undergraduate, foundation year, and postgraduate training across East Kent Hospital University Foundation Trust.
Main duties of the job
The role requires an engaged and motivated leader with a vision for our medical education strategy in East Kent. A successful applicant will hold the position of DME for 3 years with an opportunity to renew for a further 3 years.
The DME is accountable to the Trust’s Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for ensuring the following areas are delivered:
- Identify a structure for the local delivery of medical education, ensuring that all those involved have clear roles and responsibilities and are accountable for these educational roles;
- Develop effective medical workforce plans and ensure that the medical education service is efficient and effective;
- Work in partnership with the CMO, Chief People Officer (CPO), and key-stakeholders to support the Trust in sustaining its University status.
- Manage data collection and reporting processes necessary both for internal quality control and training service development; and
- Liaise with other educational leaders towards the development of multi-professional learning.
- Collaborate with the People and Culture team to align and deliver the support, leadership, and management of Trust employees working under Medical Education.
We are one of the largest hospital trusts in England, with three acute hospitals and community sites serving a local population of around also provide specialist services for Kent and Medway.
We’re on an exciting journey of transformation. With a new Medical School at the centre of our community, a focus on research, clinical leadership and making our trust a rewarding and friendly place to work, there’s never been a better time to join us.
18 April 2023
Hospital medical and dental staff
£88,364 to £119,133 a year pro rata per annum
For more information, please download and review the attached DME Job Description and Personal Specification document.
Qualifications and Training
- GMC registration with licence to practise
- Holds a current substantive consultant post in a UK NHS organisation
- An enthusiastic educator with a track record of success as a teacher and trainer
- Postgraduate qualification in medical education
Skills and Experience
- Committed to clinical leadership development in the NHS
- Experienced with teaching, training, and extensive knowledge of assessment methods and educational standards.
- A breadth of experience in medical education.
- Problem solving abilities and a flexible, practical approach
- Excellent communication, counselling, coaching and liaison skills – a readiness to listen, empathise, and represent doctors.
- At least 2 years of experience in a senior education role
- Experience as a medical appraiser
- Understanding the use of simulation and technology-enhanced learning in medical education.
- Knowledge and experience of clinical governance and review processes.
- Team or service-based QI work as a part of a project or programme.
- Experience as an Educational Supervisor
- Awareness of the issues around managing trainees in difficulty
- Interest and enthusiasm for improving delivery of medical training.
- Evidence of continuing professional development and a commitment to supporting others CPD.
- Excellent understanding of the medical education landscape
- Clear understanding of equal opportunities, especially in the context of medical education
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab) .
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab) .
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this Director of Medical Education job in South Tyneside, England, UK externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally