The Royal Free Critical Care team at Barnet Hospital is passionate about getting it right for patients and their families. To achieve this, we are looking to appoint passionate, enthusiastic, motivated, and dynamic nurses who are either at the start of developing their leadership skills post their ICU course or have substantial band 5 experience in ICU and are looking for their first junior sister/charge nurse Barnet Intensive Care unit comprises of 23 beds. which includes level 2 and level 3 patients The unit admits more than 1,000 patients per year and specialties include general medical and surgical patients, patients who require renal replacement therapy, and those requiring invasive and non-invasive equip you with the correct knowledge, skills, and attitude to become a competent and confident Band 6 critical care Registered Nurse, we will provide you with:* Supernumerary orientation programme that will be individualised to your professional needs.* We will support your attendance on a mentorship course* We will help you develop your leadership skills with our in-house programme and support you to attend NHS Leadership Academy Courses and UCL Partners leadership development programmes
Main duties of the job
- Providing high quality, effective and individualised nursing care to a variety of patients in a compassionate and caring way.
- Assessing care needs and developing, implementing and evaluating care without supervision whilst teaching more junior members of staff.
- Helping to lead and monitor the performance of the nursing team by completion of appraisals.
- Deputising for the Senior Nurse as required.
The main duties for this role are described in detail in the job description and person specification document, that is attached to this vacancy. Please ensure to read through to further your understanding of the role.
Our trust has around 10,000 staff serving million patients. It comprises Barnet Hospital, Chase Farm Hospital, the Royal Free Hospital and more than 30 services in the community. This larger scale organisation provides an unprecedented opportunity for us to continue our pioneering work, particularly in finding ways to deliver even better care to our patients.
Working in Barnet Intensive Care Unit you can achieve extraordinary things with extraordinary people. Benefits include career development, flexible working and wellbeing, staff recognition scheme. Make use of optional benefits including Cycle to work, car lease schemes, season ticket loan or membership options for onsite leisure facilities.
We are committed to equal opportunities and improving the working lives of our staff and will consider applications to work flexibly and part-time.
17 April 2023
Agenda for change
£33,706 to £40,588 a year per annum inclusive of HCAS
Barnet Intensive Care unit comprises of 23 beds which includes level 2 and level 3 patients. The unit admits more than 1,000 patients per year. Specialties include general medical and surgical patients, patients requiring renal replacement therapy, and those requiring invasive and non-invasive ventilation.
The Critical Care team at Barnet Hospital is passionate about getting it right for patients, their families, and staff. To achieve this, we are looking to appoint passionate, enthusiastic, motivated, and dynamic nurses who hold a UK accredited critical care qualification, who are ready to take on a more senior role within our 23-bedded critical care department.
This exciting Band 6 opportunity will develop your leadership and management skills within our proactive multi-disciplinary team, supported by our practice education and senior team. We will place you on the Band 6 development programme which is over a period of 9 months.
Applicants must be NMC Registered RGN, have a critical care course, relevant ICU experience , experience in teaching and mentoring, excellent communication skills and able to manage total patient care and work independently.
Areas included in this programme are:
- Enrolment on to our in-house leadership programme which is accredited by Middlesex University and support to attend NHS Leadership Academy Courses in the future.
- We will support your attendance on an assessors course if you havent already obtained you qualification.
- Book you to attend recruitment and selection training and perform interviews with a more senior member of staff once completed.
- Enrolment onto ILS training.
- Appraisal Training
- Allocated band 7 and senior band 6 to support you whilst on the programme
Let your skills and experience shine in an environment where excellence is a way of life. You will need to demonstrate a strong desire to be part of our team and have true passion to strive for excellent patient care and excel in your communication skills. We value our staff and will be committed to help you achieve your full potential.
Royal Free World Class Values
- Demonstrable ability to meet the Trust Values
Education & Qualifications
- 1st or 2nd level registration
- Intensive Care Course
- Mentorship Course
- Relevant ITU experience following ITU course
- Management experience within area of specialty
- Mentored course members, junior nurses or student nurses
- Demonstrate an insight into management issues management of change, conflict
Skills & Aptitudes
- Demonstrate ability to manage a group of ITU patients independently
- Teaching and Mentoring Skills
- Evidence of recent self development ideally Diploma/Degree
- Work within a team
- Effectively mentor junior members of staff
- Professional attitude
- Good time keeping
- Be up to date with the changes and development in nursing and relevant specialist practice
- To keep abreast of updated clinical practice, help to establish an active learning environment within the unit
- To maintain a safe clinical environment conducive to patient care
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab) .
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab) .
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this Band 6 Staff Nurse – ICU Barnet job in South Tyneside, England, UK externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally