The Tavistock & Portman NHS Foundation Trust
Gloucester House, Tavistock Children’s Day Unit
33 Daleham Gardens, London NW3 5BU
POST: Class Teacher
GRADE: Main scale/ UPS + SEN (Inner London Weighting)
HOURS: Full Time
We are looking for an inspirational teacher to join us in September 2023 as part of the next stage of our school development.
Part of the world-renowned Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust our service offers a holistic approach for young people aged 6-14 who present with complex social emotional and mental health needs. For over50 years Gloucester House has pioneered therapeutic educational work with children and now we want you to join us!
Are you a creative, dynamic and a reflective Primary or Early Years practitioner looking for the career opportunity of a lifetime? This is a challenging yet highly rewarding role, taking ownership for a class group within our school to enable some of the most vulnerable pupils to achieve their full potential.
For more information on Gloucester House please visit: Gloucester House School, Camden – Working together for learning and development
The closing date given is a guide. We reserve the right to close the vacancy once we have received sufficient applications, so we advise you to submit your application as early as possible to prevent disappointment.
Main duties of the job
- To teach pupils assigned to them, and to exemplify a good standard of classroom practice.
- To lead and manage a small group of support staff in order to maximise children’s learning and behaviour for learning.
- To prepare and implement long, medium and short-term planning, in line with National Curriculum requirements and the curriculum policy. This will include planning and preparing lessons in advance.
- To ensure children’s individual needs are catered for though knowing the child’s statement/EHCP and planning accordingly.
- To ensure appropriate differentiation of the curriculum to meet the needs of all levels of pupil ability.
- To carry out assessment, recording and reporting procedures for all pupils assigned to himher, including setting targets and writing annual review reports.
- To contribute to the integrated care plan ensuring Positive Handling Plans are up to date and implemented, and to record progress in relation to these.
Further detail can be found in the job description.
We are a specialist school (the school has been in its current building for over 50 years) which provides education and therapeutic services for up to 21 children aged 5-14 years who have social, emotional and mental health difficulties, often alongside other learning difficulties such as specific language or literacy difficulties and sometimes more general learning difficulties. Baseline records show that all children are underachieving when they start at the Gloucester House. Many of the children who attend are from socially disadvantaged backgrounds, some of whom have experienced severe deprivation or trauma/abuse in their early lives. The children come from both inner and outer London boroughs.
Gloucester House aims to provide a safe and secure environment and an effectively integrated educational and therapeutic approach in order to promote the overall development of primary age and early secondary pupils with social, emotional, and mental health difficulties at the extreme end of the spectrum in terms of complexity and severity. All of the children at Gloucester House an EHCP, a large percentage of children are looked after children or adopted and many have had multi-agency involvement prior to attending Gloucester House.
28 April 2023
Depending on experience SALARY IN LINE WITH STPCD
Gloucester House, Tavistock Childrens Day Unit
33 Daleham Gardens, Hampstead,
Please see the attached Job Description and Person specification for more information on the role requirements and duties.
- 1.1Qualified Teacher Status.
- 1.2Further SEN Training or Qualifications
- Experience of teaching children with special educational needs
- Evidence of effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to create positive, collaborative learning environments
- 2.2Experience of working with young people with SEMH and early developmental trauma
Skills and Knowledge
- An understanding of good teaching practice in primary years and the conditions required to raise levels of achievement.
- An ability to lead and manage a team of staff to effectively support the learning and containment of a class of 5-7 complex young people
- An ability to create a positive classroom environment that encourages independent working and celebrates achievements
- An ability to work effectively with parentscarers
- An ability to work sensitively, flexibly and collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- An ability to manage a complex workload, which includes monitoring, planning and assessment for the children’s range of needs.
- An ability to understand and promote equity, diversity and inclusion in all your practice
- An ability to manage the personal, psychological impact of working with this specific population of disturbed children with support
- For TLR a teacher is responsible for the strategic leadership of a subject, including designing the intent, ensuring effective implementation and monitoring impact.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab) .
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab) .
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).