This is an exciting opportunity to join NHS Sussex in akey senior leadership role.
There is asingle Chief Executive Officer and Executive Team and staff working within NHSSussex are expected to have strong working links across the system.
This senior role will report directly to the West SussexExecutive Managing Director and will lead on the provision of an efficient,effective and high quality, professional and co-ordinated commissioningfunction, capable of meeting statutory, regulatory and NHS requirements.
The postholder will provide a Deputy function to the Executive Managing Director across the totality of their portfolio and will represent the Executive Managing Director at key forums and system meetings. This includes senior strategic liaison with neighbouring organisations; oversight of regular performance and assurance reporting and required improvement actions; and support to local authority liaison. The postholder also currently directly manages the place based Urgent Care and Planned Care & Cancer commissioning teams.
Main duties of the job
This is a critical time of change and opportunity in thedevelopment of the Sussex Integrated Care System and West Sussex partnershiphave taken some significant steps forward in transforming and integrating ourhealth and social care environment. The successful applicant will also beresponsible for ensuring several areas of significant change already in trainin West Sussex, including:
proposed acute stroke transformation in thecoastal area of West Sussex;
urgentcare and discharge system responses and improvement programme;
locallead for mental health in liaison with Sussex wide and joint Local Authority MentalHealth commissioning functions.
Thesuccessful applicant will demonstrate exceptional interpersonal skills,significant senior experience and be confident in their ability to work successfullywith clinical and managerial leads, patients and service users to effectchange.
This is a fixed term or secondment opportunity and we therefore would like the candidate to be available quickly.
If you have the passion, enthusiasm and skills to join the team in this very senior role and would like any further information then please get in touch.
NHS Sussex ICB recognises the positive valueof diversity, promotes equality and challenges discrimination and welcomes applications from people of diverse backgrounds and identities. Weparticularly welcome applications from disabled and ethnically diverse candidates as these staff groups are currentlyunder-represented throughout our organisation currently. We have also made a positive commitment to employing people from the Armed Forces Community,
We are also committed to enabling team membersto work in an agile, more flexible way, recognising that this will lead to moreeffective and efficient ways of working. We will empower our people to workwhere, when, and how they choose with minimum constraints to optimiseperformance and delivery of results. Smarter working is not just related toworking from different locations or at different times. It is about gaining thebenefit of utilising technology to change work practices and to workdifferently which should increase the effectiveness of the service and deliverbenefits to ICB business.
NHS Sussex has committed to achieving Net ZeroCarbon emissions by 2045. As a member of staff you will be encouraged andsupported to implement new ways of working that will help us achieve that goal.
Workingfor us – Sussex Health and Care
19 April 2023
Agenda for change
£95,135 to £109,475 a year
Thisis a senior place-based role covering West Sussex and is part of the ExecutiveManaging Director (EMD) delivery structure and will lead the provision of anefficient, effective and high quality, professional and co-ordinatedcommissioning function, capable of meeting all statutory, regulatory and NHSrequirements.
Thefunctional areas of responsibility of the West Sussex EMD directorate currentlyinclude:
d.CommunityCommissioning (Sussex wide)
e.LocalMaternity and Neonatal Services Network (Sussex wide)
f.Localclinical, population and stakeholder engagement
Therole will provide a deputy function to the Executive Managing Director acrossthe totality of the portfolio, to ensure delivery against all commissioningstrategies and targets, together with delivery against our commitment to systemreform. This aspect of the role willinclude: senior strategic liaison with neighbouring commissioners/ICBs,oversight of delivery of all locally agreed health and care strategies andimplementation plans; oversight of regular performance and assurance reportingand required improvement action; support to local authority liaison includingproviding a senior operational link to the relevant Health Overview andScrutiny Committees. The post holder will represent the Executive Managing Directorat key forums and system meetings.
- Demonstrated expertise in a Healthcare environment
- Significant management experience at senior level in the NHS or other public healthcare related industry
- Proven Board level experience of leading and delivering complex change and strategy development programmes in a politically sensitive and complex environment
- Commissioning expertise in healthcare environment
- Experience and understanding of commissioning and current strategic context and delivery against national frameworks
- Significant experience and understanding of proven implementation of project management methodologies
- Social Care sector knowledge
- Experience and/or understanding of the Health Economy
- Experience of successfully operating in and delivering priorities in a partnership environment
- Experience in leading a major change initiative with entrepreneurialism in a challenging organisational environment
- Experience of creating a team and motivating and inspiring staff to work together to achieve a common objective
- Extensive experience of delivering presentations to large groups of stakeholders in often pressured and politically sensitive environments
- Experience of managing and prioritising a large budget
- Commercial expertise
- Awareness of relevant public and private sector business management best practice
- Educated to masters level in relevant subject or equivalent level of experience of working at a similar level in specialist area
- Proven and significant leadership experience
- Significant evidence of continued professional development
- Post-graduate management qualification MBA, Diploma in Health Service Management or equivalent
Skills and Knowledge
- Skills and Knowledge
- Dynamic personality and the ability to build trusted stakeholder relationships and wide support networks in a political context like the NHS
- Strong external communications skills in a politically sensitive environment and experience in handling media
- Ability to prepare and produce concise yet insightful communications for dissemination to senior stakeholders and a broad range of stakeholders as required
- Ability to analyse highly complex issues where material is conflicting and drawn from multiple sources
- Demonstrated capability to act upon incomplete information, using experience to make inferences and decision making
- Ability to analyse numerical and written data, assess options and draw appropriate initiatives
- Leadership, vision, strategic thinking and planning with highly developed political skills
- Demonstrated capability to plan over short, medium and long-term timeframes and adjust plans and resource requirements accordingly
- Ability to provide informative reporting on strategy, performance and impact to Board management
- Ability to delegate effectively
- Ability to work effectively between strategic and operational activities where required
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office with intermediate keyboard skills