Applications are invited from enthusiastic, motivated and conscientious individuals with excellent interpersonal skills for this interesting and busy post.
The Commissioning Officer will support the Commissioning and Business Support Team in a variety of ways, including maintaining database and finance systems, responding to queries from internal and external partners, and contract management administration.
Main duties of the job
You will provide support to the Commissioning and Business Support Team, including undertaking financial processing in accordance with agreed procedures, responding to queries from staff and external bodies suppliers, and general administration as required by the team.
Computer competence, strong customer care, communication and team working skills are all required.
Join us atUHSussex, every day is different, you can be the change, better neverstops
AtUHSussexwe’re proud to be at the heart of the NHS. As one of theUK’s largest acute Trusts, we’re a leading example of the excellence, the ambition and the values that have embodied the NHS for over 70 years.
Improving lives:We are a vibrant and inclusive organisation, with hardworking, talented and dedicated individuals, who work together towards a common goal, to always put ourPatient mission is summed up by our ‘where better never stops’ motto and no matter the role atUHSussex, you will play a part in driving us forwards and in improving the lives of patients across treat our patients and staff with the same compassion and empathy we expect for ourselves. We’re here for them when they need us, and we go above and beyond to meet their needs. This can be seen in ourwellbeing programmefor staff which is extensive and designed to support you when you need itbecausewe know that to look after others we must first look after ourselves.
Build a career with us:As a university trust and a leader in healthcare research, we value learning, teaching and training so that we can be the best that we can be. From the moment you start with us and throughout your career we will help you to grow and develop. We hope that in choosingUHSussexyou are choosing a long and happy career where you will be able to see the difference you make and feel valued for all that youdo.
27 April 2023
Agenda for change
£21,730 to £23,177 a year Per annum
St Richard’s Hospital/Worthing Hospital/Royal Sussex County Hospital
Communication & Engagement
- Respond to routine staff, customer and other queries, some of which may be sensitive or contentious, either verbally or in writing (including email)
- Refer complex queries to line manager or other staff as appropriate
- Provide advice to staff, customer and representatives of other organisations about financial processes
- Provide financial information to line manager and other staff in the organisation in accordance with agreed procedures
Service Delivery and Improvement
- Input financial data into spreadsheets, databases and finance and payroll systems as required and as directed by line manager
- Update data held in spreadsheets, databases and electronic finance and payroll systems in accordance with agreed procedures
- Check data held in spreadsheets, databases, and electronic finance systems and identify any discrepancies
- Create simple spreadsheets for recording of data as required
- Investigate and resolve financial discrepancies, referring complex queries to your line manager or supervisor as required.
- Forward financial forms (invoices, timesheets etc.) to authorised staff for approval in accordance with agreed procedures
- Check financial approvals have been made in accordance with Standing Orders, Standing Financial Instructions and the authorised signatory list and forward these to the appropriate officer for approval or refer to line manager as necessary
- Produce standard financial and payroll reports to agreed timescales and distribute following agreed procedures
- Support the development and implementation of financial policies and procedures by making suggestions for changes and adapting processes in your own work area
Other Role-Specific Duties
- Provide cover for other members of the Finance Directorate, at a level commensurate with your grade, as directed by your line manager or supervisor
- Demonstrate own work tasks to other staff as required for induction purposes
- Undertake other duties as directed by your line manager or supervisor
- NVQ Level 3 or equivalent experience
- European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL) advanced level or equivalent experience
- Association of Accounting Technicians (Intermediate Level)
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience of financial policies and procedures relevant to the work area payroll, pensions, petty cash, financial control etc
- Use of computerised data entry systems
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills when explaining routine, documented processes
- Tact and diplomacy skills when dealing with sensitive or contentious issues
Analytical and Judgemental Skills
- Numerate and able to undertake financial calculations following documented procedures
- Ability to identify and investigate exceptions from agreed work procedures and identify solutions
Planning and Organisation
- Able to plan and organise own workload to meet standard daily, weekly and monthly deadlines
Information and Communication Technology
- IT literate and able to use spreadsheet or other standard software packages
- Knowledge and use of IT systems to improve speed and accuracy of data input and create basic statistical reports
- Able to work effectively in teams
- Able to suggest improvements to work processes within your team
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab) .
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab) .