We are looking for a highly organised, efficient and pro-active Receptionist/Administrator for our Dental Outreach sites which are based at the Barkantine Health Centre on the Isle of Dogs and the Sir Ludwig Guttman Centre in Stratford and our new site at Wick Health centre in Homerton due to open in September 2023.
You will be working alongside the senior Administrator to ensure that an effective and organised service is provided to our patients and the dental undergraduate students.
The role is to provide administrative, clerical and reception support. The ideal candidate will be joining a friendly and ambitious team committed to working continuously to improve and provide the highest quality patient care.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate that they are:
- Highly organised with excellent attention to detail
- Proactive and able to work using their own initiative
- Professional both face to face, via email and by telephone
- A positive, engaging and driven character
- Able to work well within a team and confidently on their own
- Able to manage a busy reception
- Flexible and able to travel to any of our trust sites when required
Main duties of the job
The clinic administrator role is responsible for providing a patient focused, effective and efficient ‘front of house’ service to our patients.
Main duties will include patient bookings, reception duties, cancelling and rescheduling of clinics, short notice cancellations, and providing administration support and undergraduate clinic cross-cover across sites as required.
The role will work closely with the Undergraduate Patient Coordinator, the Undergraduate Service delivery manager, the Undergraduate Nurse Managers, the QMUL Outreach lead and the QMUL outreach site-lead. Site base will be flexible taking into consideration term-time dates, clinic scheduling and cover requirements.
Working in adherence to the Trust Access Policy, Governance and local Standard Operating Procedures at all times, the post holder will liaise with a number of key stakeholders to ensure the Outpatient booking process is efficient and fit for purpose, and that patients are able to access our services and receive expert clinical care.
Barts Health is one of the largest NHS trusts in the country, and one of Britain’s leading healthcare providers.
The Barts Health group of NHS hospitals is entering an exciting new era on our improvement journey to becoming an outstanding organisation with a world-class clinical reputation. Having lifted ourselves out of special measures, we now have the impetus and breathing space to chart a fresh course in which we are continually striving to improve all our services for patients.
Our vision is to be a high-performing group of NHS hospitals, renowned for excellence and innovation, and providing safe and compassionate care to our patients in east London and beyond. That means being a provider of excellent patient safety, known for delivering consistently high standards of harm-free care and always caring for patients in the right place at the right time. It also means being an outstanding place to work, in which our WeCare values and behaviours are visible to all and guide us in how we work together.
We strive to live by our WeCare values and are committed to promoting inclusion, where every staff member has a sense of belonging. We value our differences and fully advocate, cultivate and support an inclusive working environment.
24 April 2023
Agenda for change
£25,838 to £27,285 a year per annum inc
Royal London Hospital
To work closely with the Service Delivery Manager, Patient Coordinator and Nurse Manager to ensure the smooth running of the clinic
- To check in/out all Dental patients promptly for every attendance, and advise clinical team of any late/cancelled patients
- Ensure bookings, rescheduling and cancellations are actioned in a timely manner and updated electronically
- Advise clinical teams and management on clinic booking issues.
- Review clinic booking requests for accuracy and advise accordingly.
- Ensure any patients displaced as a result of a cancellation or template change are rebooked accordingly and letters sent.
- Set up ad hoc clinic lists or appointment slots as and when required.
- Escalate short notice or exceptional requests.
- Assist with the administration of the UG clinics as directed.
- Support the Unit Nurse Manager with ordering of supplies using trust procurement portal.
- Arrange for transport of specimens, supplies and post where needed to support the service as the site.
- GCSE or equivalent in English and Maths
- Evidence of continued professional development
- Knowledge of CRS/Powerchart
- Good keyboard skills
- Competence with a range of IT packages, CRS, EPR, Microsoft Office
- Ability to input and retrieve information on a computerised system
- Excellent telephone manner and able to remain calm when dealing with patients who may act aggressively over the phone
- Good level of written communication
- Ability to provide constructive opinions and views on ideas for service improvement
- Experience working in an NHS environment as an administrator or clinic clerk/receptionist
- Experience using customer focused administrative processes
- Knowledge of Microsoft packages
- Previous experience of working as an NHS clinic clerk or office administrator
- A basic understanding of the 18 week Referral to Treat rule and National Cancer targets.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab) .
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab) .