Job Title Mechanical Design Engineer
Department/Code Mechanical, BMD
Main Purpose of Job
To design, develop and produce high quality, reliable mechanical solutions.
Responsible To Mechanical Design Team Manager
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. Design, develop and produce high quality, reliable mechanical solutions.
2. Design and draught components and assemblies for all Mechanical Engineering and R&D projects.
3. Support, modify, maintain & repair all FOM mechanical systems (in the UK and abroad), in an accurate and timely manner.
4. Carrying out 3D modelling & 2D design/draught work whilst maintaining/updating and modifying existing designs/diagrams.
5. Carry out full design cycle project/task work, through Conception, Design, Development, Prototyping, Testing, Diagnosing, Manufacture and Commissioning. Produce high quality, reliable products/systems that require the minimal of maintenance and support.
6.Estimate accurately project and tasks duration and costing. Produce appropriate and complete documentation for all designs/enhancements/projects worked on. Report (including producing reports) as required by the R&D Groups’ Management.
7. Hand over completed projects & assembly modifications to operationally responsible departments, with relevant documentation and assist operational departments as required regarding any issues that may arise.
8. Liaise efficiently with other staff/departments/teams and outside organisations (manufacturers, suppliers, and consultancies), establishing and maintaining effective and
efficient relations, overcoming problems and defining requirements.
9. Decompose complex problems and produce simple and effective solutions, whilst also designing innovative cutting-edge solutions for other projects.
10. Perform the role of R&D (Mechanical) support representative at events abroad. Also occasionally travel to events abroad as Maintenance Technician when required; assist coordinate rigging and de-rigging mechanical equipment and structures as required.
11. Support, advise and from time to time assist operational departments with their activities and duties, also assist Technicians when required.
12. To complete all mandatory training within specified timelines.
13. Always operate safely in line with Company health and safety requirements.
14. To undertake other duties within your capabilities as your Group Manager or Team Leader may assign to you from time to time.
Degree in Mechanical or Engineering Product Design/similar discipline or HND
Experience of drawing standards
specifically technical product
At least 2 years’ experience in 3D
Delivering projects within designated budget requirements.
Experience in designing with PTC Creo
Experience of using AutoCAD software
Experience in using Windchill PDMLink 10.1. or similar
Knowledge of Keyshot
Integrating electronics into
mechanical designs using 3d
MCAD- ECAD tools.
Knowledge & Skills
Proven hands-on practical skills and good understanding/sense of aesthetics, ergonomics, shock and vibration effects
Familiar with a range of materials and manufacturing systems.
Analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to evaluate reports.
Good computer literacy.
Experience of low volume manufacture and bespoke product design
Knowledge of aluminium fabrication design
Able to manage multiple projects concurrently.
Incorporating sustainability into designs to align with company targets.
Competent in writing technical reports, specifications, and user documentation.
Ability to multitask and prioritise tasks.
Working effectively/efficiently in a team as well as individually.
The ability to adapt effectively to changing targets and objectives and ensure tight deadlines are achieved.
Ability to communicate clearly and in A professional manner with colleagues, team members, other departments, managers & outside organizations.
The ability to work with the minimal of supervision. Self-motivated
EU driving license
Ability to travel
Excellent presentation skills internal and external.
The JM Group is operating and advertising as an Employment Agency for permanent positions and as an Employment Business for interim/contract/temporary positions. The JM Group is an Equal Opportunities employer and we encourage applicants from all backgrounds.