Are you dynamic and looking to spread your wings in a supportive and forward thinking commercial environment? Are you looking to take your next steps in your commercial career?
The Commercial Services Department at Homerton Healthcare Hospital is looking to appoint in to its revised establishment, to support a modern, patient centric, customer focused service.
Supporting the Head of Commercial Services, the post holder will lead and manage the operational aspects of the team. This includes ensuring the day-to-day function operates smoothly and that any issues are dealt with in a proactive and positive manner.
As Homerton continues to help shape a more integrated health and care partnership in City and Hackney, we are consistently aiming to strengthen our wider contribution in North East London, therefore the successful candidate will have a deep commitment to integration, with a clear understanding of how to navigate news ways of working.
Main duties of the job
The post holder will engage with all key stakeholders across the Trust and the wider North East London (NEL) Integrated Care System (ICS)/Integrated Care Board (ICB) to ensure commercial processes, resources and systems are fit for purpose and provide a modern efficient service, specific to HH.
The post holder, in conjunction of the wider team, will design and implement new processes to support HH with its related commercial functions, including, but not limited to its, contract register; structured savings plan; procurement work plan and standardisation plan.
Team Leadership and Management – responsible for optimising their skill mix within the Commercial Services team. Being open, transparent and fostering a good team work ethic. They will provide leadership to their direct reports, in support of the own work programme
Commercial Services Workplan – lead the development and delivery of the Commercial Services workplan by engaging with stakeholders and aligning their requirements to wider organisational plans.
Procurement Savings Plan – develop a procurement savings plan, along with the rest of the Commercial Services team and in conjunction with the Trust CIP programme.
Customer Service – develop and encourage a high level of customer service within the team. They will seek feedback from end users and ensure any complaints are investigated, resolved and/or escalated, as appropriate. All learning will be integrated into the team development and/or processes
Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust is a high performing and flourishing organisation serving the population of Hackney, East London, The City and beyond.
We are extremely proud of the fact that Homerton Hospital has recently attained the highest possible rating of “Outstanding” from the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
Our integrated Trust provides comprehensive hospital and community health services for its local population and a range of specialist services for a wider group of patients. In addition, the Trust manages services out of St Leonard’s Hospital and the Mary Seacole Nursing Home.
Homerton aims to ensure equality and value diversity, and we are committed to inclusion for all of our staff. This is reflected in our policies, procedures and People Plan. All of our staff are expected to embody our Trust values at all times.
We are also committed, through our Fair Recruitment Standards, to ensuring all applicants are treated fairly.
Homerton has a proud tradition of supporting and developing its staff, including its well regarded and valued nursing community, and all staff are able to take advantage of a great range of benefits.
Homerton is proud to have been included on the HSJ & Nursing Times Best Places to Work list.
03 February 2023
Agenda for change
£63,541 to £72,639 a year p.a. inc.
The full job description provides an overview of the key tasks and responsibilities of the role, and the person specification outlines the qualifications, skills, experience and knowledge required. For both documents please view the attachment/s on this page
The person specification below is not the full person specification, but outlines the criteria against which your application form will be assessed.
Education / Qualifications
- Relevant Business qualification
- Level 4 (and full member) of the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS) and equivalent work history
- Degree, Master’s Degree or MBA/MPA
- Fellowship membership of CIPS
- Knowledge of Data Protection (GDPR) and understanding of confidentiality requirements
- Knowledge of public contract regulations and current remodelling of these.
- Knowledge and experience of SFI’s & SO’s in public sector organisations
- Knowledge of NHS commercial systems such as Oracle, NHSSC, NHS SBS, Atamis
- Strong understanding of the various levers of unlocking value from commercial activities, such as sourcing, tendering, demand management, standardisation and contract management
- Understanding of the Public Contract Regulations, NHS standard terms and conditions and sound knowledge of contract law
- Experience of managing outsourcing and outsourced contracts
- Evidence of delivering complex projects
- Able to analyse and interpret complex data, as well as undertake market analysis
- Experience in a customer service environment
- Experience of working in pressurised and challenging environments
- Demonstrable experience of working within commercial functions and able to explain and present the benefits to users
- Experience working within the acute NHS and understanding of the context of potential changes and challenges facing the NHS
- Experience of working in the private sector
- Experience of the NHS Scan4Safety programme
- Understanding of Supply Chain Coordination Ltd. (SCCL)
- Understanding of the Cost Improvement Plan (CIP)
Skills / Abilities
- Excellent persuasion, influencing and conflict resolution skills
- Highly motivated and conscientious
- Excellent team working, including team building and motivation
- Excellent sound commercial acumen
- Clear and effective communication
- Good analytical skills
- Self-confidence and the ability to be confident and convincing even in unfamiliar circumstances
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Positive and engaging personality, especially when under tight deadlines
- Team leadership skills, adopting a flexible leadership style depending on the situation
- Understanding of Supply Chain functions within the NHS
- Understanding of the ICS functions within the NHS
- Understanding of the Central Commercial Function within the NHS
- Have exceptional partnership skills, with the capacity to work directly with clinical stakeholders and procurement and supply chain colleagues
- Able to work unsupervised using own initiative
- Able to meet deadlines
- Able to promote effectively the benefits of the Procurement and Supply Chain department Organisational skills
- Ability to build, develop and maintain professional relationships
- Ability to maintain a calm approach
- Ability to maintain clear and accurate records (attention to detail)
- Understanding of the principles of customer care
- Ability to work effectively with and commitment to the Equality Act
- Understanding and promotion of the Trust values
- Understaning the benefits of the commercial function across the Trust and the wider NEL ICS.
- Ability to manage change
- A commitment to promoting equality, diversity and inclusion
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab) .
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab) .
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).