Reporting to the Head of Engineering, the Head of QA will provide strategic leadership to our test function, currently comprising of 11 onshore and offshore manual and automation testers. This is a great opportunity for a QA leader from a technical testing background to define and develop the Test strategy for Octopus.
The Head of QA is not a people manager. Instead you will mentor and support the testers deployed across each of the five delivery teams and ensure a consistent approach to testing, adding value through technical leadership. This role will also play a key role in resource planning and recruitment.
You will work closely with the Product Managers and Software Engineering Managers on the delivery of our software and empower the team to deliver high quality, secure and scalable products.
What you’ll do
- Provide strategic oversight to the Octopus test function, mentoring and developing a chapter of 11 Testers
- Nurtur a consistent approach to testing across the delivery teams.
- Following Agile principles, you will assist the development managers in streamlining processes and removing blockers to the delivery process.
- Review and sign off on the test plans of each of the teams and ensure that the quality and quantity of testing in each team is appropriate for the business needs.
- Where we have introduced production bugs you will be performing root cause analysis on how those issues were missed in system and user acceptance testing; share and recommend improvements where required.
- You will run the test chapter and will run workshops and team meetings for the function. You will hold regular 121’s with the testers whilst collaborating with the development managers to resolve any issues.
- You will continually review the test capacity and recommend where extra resource is required and will assist in the hiring of new manual and automation testers.
- You will own the test strategy for both manual and automation testing, continually updating where appropriate and communicating that strategy to stakeholders at all levels.
- You will be working closely with the test and engineering teams to produce and manage test data and recommend changes to the test environments where required.
- We have a competency framework for the testers which you will own and update where appropriate. You will assist the development managers in their career discussions with the testers and contribute to year end performance and remuneration discussions.
What you’ll need
- You will be experienced in following Agile delivery methodologies
- Have experience mentoring/coaching/supporting teams or team members
- You will have knowledge of offshore delivery models and experience of working with offshore teams
- You are passionate about test automation
- You will have created and owned organization level Test strategies
- You will have experienced the challenges of working a function that sits across multiple delivery teams, and will be able to co-ordinate testing across those teams
- You will have an excellent track record of on-time predictable delivery, with a real focus on execution and embracing accountability for your function
What we offer
A competitive salary, bonus, pension and share incentive plan
✈️ Take what you need holiday
⚓ Anchor (our wellness hub) which includes Headspace, one to one coaching through Sanctus, Parent Cloud, Digital GP, Shout & more
Enhanced family leave policies
❤️ Life insurance, critical illness cover and income protection
Private medical insurance for you and your family
Electric vehicle leasing
The option to work overseas up to a month per year
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold.
We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We promote equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background. We believe strongly that teams are at their best when every member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.