Student Health Visitor – Commencing Sept 2023 (University of Brighton)
Student Health visitor / School nurse – University of Brighton (Clinical placements available across Brighton & Hove and West Sussex)
Are you a registered nurse or midwife interested in a career in Health Visiting?
Sussex Community Foundation NHS trust is offering an exciting opportunity to undertake a fully funded sponsorship to qualify as a Specialist Community Public Health Nurse – Health Visitor. This course is offered at level 7 and available either full-time or part-time
We are looking for an enthusiastic registered nurse or midwife who is passionate about improving health outcomes and reducing inequalities for children across West Sussex and Brighton and Hove.
You will be able to demonstrate:
- An understanding of the Healthy Child Programme and service delivery model
- A keen interest in public health, high impact areas and wider determinants of health
- Excellent communication and assessment skills
- Motivation, commitment to learning and ability to link theory to practice
- Leadership skills, self-awareness and ability to reflect on practice
- That you meet the criteria for the course which includes: a first degree at a 1st or 2:1 and evidence of level 6 or 7 study within the last 5 years
Main duties of the job
As a student, you will be an adult learner and this requires you to be self-motivated, enthusiastic, resilient and dedicated to the role, with a keen interest in public health, and as a qualified SCPHN you will be leading the Healthy Child Programme (HCP). You will have a passion for public health and improving outcomes for children in West Sussex and Brighton & Hove through progressive universalism and early intervention. We are looking for a solution-focused nurse or midwife that is able to demonstrate an understanding of holistic assessment, and the wider determinants of health and capacity building. You will need to have excellent communication skills and some experience of working collaboratively with other agencies.
This is not just a set of letters but the pathway to a varied, worthwhile and rewarding career.
Don’t miss out on an incredible opportunity, apply now.
SCFT HCP are proud to have received UNICEFs Achieving Sustainability (Gold) Award in West Sussex that celebrates excellent and sustained practice in the support of infant feeding and parent-infant relationships. Brighton & Hove HCP are currently working towards UNICEF accreditation.
SCFT offers a wide range of support and benefits for its staff including; a Diversity & Inclusion Team, a Disability and Wellbeing Network, and a new Mental Health and Wellbeing Support Service.
We work closely with the universities to offer students a high level of support and clinical experiences throughout the year.
15 February 2023
Agenda for change
Depending on experience £27,055 – £32,934 per annum/pro rata
Brighton General Hospital
Please see job description and person specification.
Please note that there will not be the opportunity to undertake this part time, as it is a demanding course combining academic study with developing the clinical skills and knowledge to become a SCPHN Health Visitor. Candidates must be prepared for this level of commitment, including willingness to travel across a very large geographical Trust.
Please note that clinical placements can be anywhere in West Sussex and Brighton and Hove although we do look to place students at a reasonable distance from where you are living and take caring responsibilities into consideration.
Successful candidates will also need to apply to the University of Brighton separately and meet the academic entry requirements for the course at level 7. Please note that due to NMC changes the new SCPHN courses will all be at level 7. The University of Surrey are offering level 6 for the last time in 2023 and if you would prefer level 6 study, we recommend that you apply for the University of Surrey student post. Surrey can only offer their course full-time for 2023.
We will offer you:
- A dedicated Practice supervisor, Practice Assessor and Academic Assessor for the duration of the course
- A high level of support with regular meetings and opportunities to discuss your progress and learning needs
- Support from the wider Practice Educator team
- Group supervision sessions during consolidation
- A trust that offers a wide range of support and benefits for its staff including; a Diversity & Inclusion Team, a Disability and Wellbeing Network, and a new Mental Health and Wellbeing Support Service
Please use your application and supporting information to:
- Demonstrate how you meet the person specification for this role
- Advise whether you would like to be considered for the full or part-time course
If you would like more information please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Active registration as a registered nurse on NMC register or pre-registration student due to qualify by the start of the course
- Able to meet University requirements for SCPHN course
- Evidence of working without direct supervision and managing own workload
- Evidence of working effectively in a team
- Experience of working with Clients and their Families
- Evidence of working within the community
- Experience of multi-agency working
Skills and Knowledge
- Evidence of commitment to the course, including on-going personal development and ability to self-direct study
- A good understanding of the public health agenda and recent policy developments
- Current knowledge of safeguarding issues
- Understanding of the range of health needs and lifestyle of different client groups
- Understanding the role of the SCPHN and HCP
- Ability to demonstate excellent communication skills
- Ability to demonstrate evidence-based practice and use of research
- Ability to use Microsoft packages including Word and PowerPoint
- Confident in use of IT
- Experience of electronic record keeping systems
- Understands level of commitment required, and able to undertake a full-time course combining an advanced level professional registration with degree level studies.
- Car driver with current driving license and access to a car for work – unless exempt under the Equality Act 2010
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).