Job Title: Mechanical Fitter (Waterfront)
Location: HMNB Clyde, nr Helensburgh
Compensation: £33,395 plus defined contribution pension + flex benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF47358
Make your skills count
At Babcock we’re working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Mechanical Fitter at HMNB Clyde
As an international defence company, we support and enhance our customers’ defence and security capabilities and critical assets, meeting their requirements of value for money, increased availability, modernisation and flexibility
The Mechanical Fitter role is based within our Waterfront business area.
As the Ministry of Defence’s commercial partner at HMNB Clyde, Babcock provides specialist engineering support services, including the management of infrastructure and nuclear facilities. We also deliver operational maintenance, upgrades and repairs to support Royal Navy vessels, including the Vanguard and Astute-Class nuclear submarines.
The difference our new Mechanical Fitter will make
As a Mechanical Fitter, you’ll have a role that’s out of the ordinary. Areas of responsibility will include carrying out mechanical fitting activities including planned and preventative maintenance, defect identification and repair on systems within our Waterfront business area.
Please note that the role holder must be comfortable working at heights and in confined spaces
Day to day, you’ll work within a team which is responsible for carrying out planned and reactive maintenance, testing and commissioning activities on specialist equipment.
At Babcock, we have a history of helping talent go far. With our track record of innovation, you’ll continually develop your knowledge and expertise.
We offer flexible working to give people more options to better integrate their work and personal life, whilst ensuring that business needs are met. This role provides flexible start and finish times.
* Previous Mechanical Fitter experience within a Marine Engineering or industrial environment, would be advantageous
* Recognised Mechanical Engineering Apprenticeship qualified to SVQ Level 3 (or NVQ and C&G equivalent) or HNC and above in an Mechanical Engineering discipline with industry experience.
* You will be able to understand and read drawings and can think on your feet and problem solve with a high attention to detail and fault finding.
* Ability to demonstrate attention to detail and a focus on producing high-quality work to meet acceptance standards.
* Experience of Maintenance Procedures, Risk Assessments, Method Statements, COSHH assessments and Safe Systems of Work with excellent team working skills.
* You must be eligible to gain and maintain UK SC security clearance for this role
What we offer
Generous benefits including:
* Generous holiday allowance plus bank holidays
* Reservist in the armed forces receive 10 days special paid leave
* Matched contribution pension scheme up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
* Working from home and flexible work patterns
* Employee assistance programme supporting physical, mental and financial wellbeing
* Flexible benefits, including cycle to work scheme, discounts and our Share Ownership Scheme
* Autonomy. Trusted and empowered to be at your best
For over 130 years, we have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal. Change begins with our people and our shared Principles: be curious; be courageous; own and deliver; think: outcomes; collaborate; and be kind. These values not only guide the way we work, but also our efforts to reach net-zero carbon. Yes, our ambitions are big, but together, we can achieve them.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments.
All applications should be made online. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We’re committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone’s free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working – please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.