POST: HR Consultant
SECTION: Human Resources
REPORTS TO: HR Manager
- Provide a comprehensive HR consultancy and advisory service to meet the needs of the organisation, adhering to an HR culture which is results oriented, customer focused and forward looking.
- Provide consultancy services in a professional, proactive and commercially focused manner in the day-to-day delivery of HR&OD Services.
- Provide high-level HR knowledge, skill and expertise in the delivery of the corporate HR advice.
- Facilitate business process re-engineering, restructuring and reorganisations including advice on out-sourcing and TUPE issues.
- Contribute as an effective and collaborative member of the HR team and the wider HR & OD Department.
- Provide a comprehensive HR consultancy and advisory service to meet the needs of the organisation, adhering to an HR culture which is results oriented, customer focused and forward looking:
- Provide direct support and advice to managers and staff to developed and agreed performance standards.
- Schedule regular meetings with the assigned department to promote, implement and advise on all HR&OD issues.
- Deliver, as directed, the priority activities as outlined in the HR&OD work programme including taking the lead for activities as allocated.
- Advise and assist on restructuring proposals and their implementation and advise on managing resultant staff changes/redundancies including trade union and individual consultation.
- Work with managers and business partners to develop bespoke employee relations and recruitment resourcing approaches on a range of issues, involving other colleagues in the section to deliver a seamless service, to meet customer needs and improve management capability.
- Contribute to the delivery of the HR components of departmental service plans reflecting these in workforce organisational health indicators.
- Contribute to the implementation of departmental workforce plans including co-ordinating recruitment resourcing activity and department specific recruitment campaigns.
- Work closely with line managers, on disciplinary, grievance capability, absence management and other employee relations issues ensuring efficient and effective case management. Taking responsibility as allocated, for supporting and assisting managers in complex ER investigations.
- When necessary, liaise with internal and external legal bodies to prepare the Council’s defence in tribunal proceedings.
- Advise and assist managers and staff on responses to employee litigation on behalf of the Council.
- Facilitate the effective application and consistency of the Council’s people management policies and procedures.
- Monitor and evaluate performance to ensure the efficient and effective use of resources.
- Proactively manage as directed, allocated HR&OD projects encompassing management of all associated resources including project team members and budgets, etc to ensure successful completion and delivery.
Provide consultancy services in a professional, proactive, and commercially focused manner in the day-to-day delivery of HR&OD Services:
- Support the Business Partners to identify key workforce issues and potential resource implications including, possible outcomes and any associated risks.
- Adopt the Consultancy Framework approach for the HR&OD team in the delivery of services contributing to the assurance of service performance standards as set and monitored.
- Ensure appropriate record keeping for audit purposes in line with best practice, organisational and data protection requirements.
- Work in partnership with colleagues to proactively maintain the content of the HR intranet.
- Support the delivery of a job evaluation service.
- As a member of the HR&OD team, actively challenge existing/established ways of working both within and outside of the department and work towards establishing a more dynamic approach to these working systems.
- Actively evaluate all projects/work with a view identifying improvements and contributing to workforce organisational health data analysis.
- Provide high-level HR knowledge, skill, and expertise in the delivery of the corporate HR advice
- Provide advice to managers, staff, in relation to employment law, reward, compensation, grading issues and HR policies, practices and procedures.
- Keep abreast with professional developments and legislative requirements and their applications that affect assigned departments’ services.
- Assist in the monitoring and evaluation of the performance and impact of workforce organisational health information in collaboration with the pay and performance team.
Facilitate business process re-engineering, restructuring and reorganisations including advice on out-sourcing and TUPE issues:
- Where appropriate, support the Learning and Organisational Development Team and the Council’s Transformation Team in the application of business process re-engineering methodologies to continuously improve service design and structures.
- Advise and assist managers, as directed, on achieving service objectives during the Council’s wider change management programme through effective HR & OD management.
- Work closely with line managers on specific reorganisation, process migration and redundancy issues.
- Execute TUPE transfers including due diligence and consultation.
- Support the HR Business Partner to identify the wider implications of workforce issues and resourcing requirements during the service planning processes.
- Assist in maintaining organisational capability throughout the process of change.
- Provide the tools and techniques for planning and implementation of changes through effective HR interventions.
- Contribute as an effective and collaborative member of the HR team and the wider HR & OD Department:
- Participate in the ongoing development, implementation and monitoring of the wider service plan.
- Champion the professional integrity of the HR&OD service.
- Champion e-knowledge and e-process management skills and knowledge development across all HR&OD.
- Actively assist with the transition from centrally supported HR&OD processes and record keeping to self-service and provide appropriate support as necessary to ensure smooth and seamless transition.
- Actively share feedback across the team, both positive and constructive criticism, on people management policies and interventions
- Assist the wider HR&OD team when there are peaks in workload and/or absence.
- Support the wider departmental and corporate projects and initiatives as directed.
- Take responsibility for continually developing self, in order to maximise personal contribution to the role, through the professional development plan that is a combination of the training and development needs identified from the main duties outlined above and the HR Profession Map Behaviours outlined in the person specification.
- Any other duties appropriate to the post: These other duties must be equivalent to or below the salary and status of the role and, where appropriate, under the Equality Act 2010, due consideration must be given to any employees with a “protected characteristic”.
- Undertake all the duties within the framework of Equal Opportunities.
- You must cooperate in all matters relating to Health and Safety and implement all procedures for your job role. The identification of Health and Safety related risks within the working environment must be highlighted to your management.