Pertemps Recruitment on behalf of Buckinghamshire Council has an exciting opportunity for a Finance Manager to join the Transport Services team in their Aylesbury office (HP20 area). The main purpose of this role is to lead a team providing financial advice, support, and analysis to the Heads of Transport Services on operational, procurement and commissioning and service developments, service planning and budget management issues, both revenue and capital.
About the role
As a Finance Manager you will have a number of responsibilities including, but not limited to the following:
- “Manage a team to deliver a range of skilled and complex professional support activities to meet established operational targets and organisational requirements.
- Financial management of c. 1000 contracts across 80 suppliers. Over 12,000 invoices processed annually.
- Research, manage and evaluate spend against budget and forecast outturn covering Line of Business software and other budget elements; to be timely, accurate and bring together financial and available cost driver information / activity data; including analysis of why forecasts are changing (variance analysis)
- Use initiative to resolve customer queries and manage issues and potential risks within the specialist area, escalating where unable to resolve.
- Monthly reporting of orders / commitments placed by Provider and actual spend against contracted amounts for each contract / Provider.
- Monthly reporting of financial information (actual spend / forecast) by Client eligibility for the Budget holders including activity data (number of clients)
- Ownership of budget limit orders including reconciliation of actual vs. expected spend.
- Produce appropriate year-end accruals for income and expenditure
- Support the corporate MTFP and Budget setting process, both independently and alongside members of the Communities Finance Team, supporting financial modelling required to ensure that the proposals are achievable within the timescales given, raise any queries/issues in a timely manner to ensure they hit the Council ‘s budgets in the correct time frame; and track the delivery of MTFP savings
- Undertake benchmarking and financial analysis to support the decision-making process for the organisation
This is a temporary position until August 2022, though there is potential for this to be extended further. The pay rate is £275 per day, and you will be working full time, 37 per week. Buckinghamshire Council are currently working on a hybrid basis where you will work in the office 2+ days per week and remotely for the rest of the week.
The Aylesbury office is conveniently situated in the town centre (HP20 area) with great transport links including a local train station and excellent road connections to the M25, M1, M4 and M40
We’re looking for someone who meets the qualification threshold in accountancy with experience in managing administrative staff and processes, particularly invoices.
- The work of the team is varied and fast-paced so we are looking for an experienced and highly organised individual who can manage competing priorities and work independently and as part of a team. You will need to be empathetic with our service users and able to use your initiative when dealing with queries.
- You will be motivated to make a positive difference for our members and want to deliver total satisfaction.
- Comprehensive knowledge of relevant processes, systems, policies and procedures will be essential, as will good knowledge of other areas of the authority relevant to the service.
- Bringing excellent ICT skills, you will have experience of standard packages, including MS Office, Excel, and may include use of bespoke databases etc.
- Due to the frequent liaison activities, excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential.
- You will need to be highly accurate with attention to detail. You must be able to prioritise and work to deadlines.
- You take responsibility for your work and are trusted to perform your job to the best of your ability.
About us and our Client
As a flexible employee of Pertemps Recruitment Partnership Ltd, you will be joining a Company that holds the distinction of being one of the largest and most successful independent recruitment agencies in the country. Our pioneering spirit and ability to tap into the uniqueness of each individual’s talents has enabled us to open doors for our employees, our clients and our applicants too. Our philosophies and rewards are built very much on mutual trust and respect within the style of a partnership in which we hope you will feel both fulfilled and valued as a person.
Buckinghamshire Council are a leading Authority with offices in Aylesbury, Amersham and High Wycombe, whose values represent exactly what they are – Proud, Ambitious, Collaborative and Trustworthy. By joining Buckinghamshire Council, you can expect:
- a fair and inclusive culture
- the chance to really make a difference to your local community and those around you
- health and well-being initiatives including Mental Health First Aiders and mindfulness workshops
- ongoing support, and the opportunity to develop and progress in your career
- opportunities to take part in fun activities such as fundraising and social events
We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.
Apply now or call, text or email the team for further information:
We reserve the right to close the vacancy once we have received sufficient applications, so please be advised to submit your application as early as possible.